Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sweet Connor

Today during fast and testimony meeting Connor heard the new Stake President's daughter go up and share her testimony... she does this almost every fast and testimony meeting. I think she is 10 and has Down Syndrome. And what a big example sweet Mary set for my son today. Connor listened to her, as he has many times, turned to me and said, "Mom, I want to go up there and do that, too." I told him that was fine. He was nervous and went back and forth for a minute in his head and then walked up to the front and sat down while he waited his turn to speak.

If I can remember it correctly, I wanted to share and record Connor's testimony at age 7. His first experience with burying his testimony from the pulpit. He stood up on the cute foot stool the bishop put out for him and said, "I would like to bare my testimony that I know this church is true. I know Jesus loves me and I love my family. I want to go to the temple and be married in it someday. I am thankful that I can be baptized when I am 8 to wash away my sins. I want people to like me and I want to read my scriptures. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

It really was a sweet and tender moment. I was so happy for him. As soon as he came down he said, "Mom, can I go back up there and do it again?" :) I told him he could in a month. That did not seem soon enough for him. It ended up being a testimony meeting filled with the sweet testimonies of many of the primary children and it touched my heart. It is the first time in the 15 months or so that I have been here in this ward that I have ever seen that many kids get up on fast Sunday.

I personally do not care for getting up in public and speaking, and as a result almost never share my testimony in sacrament meeting. It is a sad thing. I know it was not my example that sparked the fire in Connor's heart to get up there today. I am so grateful for Mary and her consistent and steadfast example of doing what she knows is right. That little person with her big spirit made a lasting impression for me and my son today. Thank you! I hope that I, too, can be more like Mary.

6 comments:

Chulitamaya said...

Darn it!!! I missed it :( That is so cool Tifanny, I love it that he felt inspired by somebody else to go up there, brave little man :)

Elizabeth said...

Way to go Connor. I think Natalie is more like me and will not be doing that anytime soon!

Chiara said...

I love it! What a sweet heart! I wish I was a better example to my kids....but I just end up crying and nothing I say makes sense!

Iliana said...

That is sweet. Kids really amaze me.

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome that he had the courage to get up there and do that by himself!

Shanda McKeehan said...

Kid is an all around stud. I love him.