Wednesday, March 24, 2010

SPRING BREAK - DAY 3

The third day of Spring break was St. Patrick's day! And once again we had big plans and high hopes. We had invited over 5 other families to join us for a St. Patties feast (of green pancakes, green eggs, green juice, Lucky Charms (with green milk), and a rainbow fruit platter) and to be finished off with a treasure hunt for the leprechauns pot of gold! Ironically, our luck seemed to have run out as I woke up that morning with PINK EYE! I quickly texted all the families to tell them that it was still on, but that they come at their own risk. Oh how they dropped like flies! (You know who you are!) It's okay, I would have done the same. ;) I was devastated to tell the boys that probably no one was going to show up and I was sorry. It quickly became quite the fest of tears at our house. Then my last friend to respond, single handily saved the day by texting me that she and the kids would take their chances and were coming! YAY!

The Little Leprechauns: Connor, Dallin (still in PJ's- but we made sure the night before that their jammies had some green so they wouldn't get pinched), Rainey, Larkin, Eli, and Jacob.

Dallin feasting on a pancake and Lucky Charms (of course he only ate the marshmallows out... why have they not made that cereal with only marshmallows yet)? Does any one's kid ever eat the rest?

My beautiful fruit rainbow deserved a picture all of it's own. :) I found the idea in the Family Fun magazine... a personal favorite. (I altered the clouds from marshmallows to Cool Whip... it made it perfect for dipping!)

The woman who saved St. Patrick's Day... God Bless You, Lindsey! :)

The kids seemed to enjoy the breakfast (and undoubtedly peed green for three days straight with all that food coloring ;) and the treasure hunt was a success (except for the fact that I had planned enough gold candied treasure for six families and now there were only two to eat it!) We missed the other families (although we totally understood), but had still had a fabulous time!

4 comments:

Tammy and Alvin said...

love the rainbow fruit platter! I will have to tuck that idea away to use next year!

Jennifer said...

I so agree about the Lucky Charms! My kids always just pick out the marshmallows. We should write someone a letter about this. Request an all marshmallow cereal. Part of a healthy balanced breakfast!

Chulitamaya said...

I still feel bad for not coming but I literally only slept like one hour the night before and knew that I could not deal with driving so early. Sorry Tiff :)

Kel said...

I'm with Tammy! Love the fruit platter. Awesome idea and execution.