Sunday, March 29, 2009

Funny Honey

My husband made me laugh today. Maybe he will be annoyed that I blogged this story...but it put a smile on my face; one of the many reasons why I love Seth!

SETH: We need to look for an up and coming Hispanic neighborhood to move into.

ME: (completely confused by this random comment) Why?

SETH: I am tired of being around all these whites!

HAHAHAHAHA! He was completely joking...but I do think that he (as well as myself) misses the diversity that we had grown to appreciate in Louisiana. I know there is plenty of diversity and culture out here in Texas... we just have not found ourselves immersed in it very well.

And as for the cowboy culture...I have a hard time embracing it. I chose to skip the Rodeo (which in doing so I may as well have written LOSER all over our foreheads in bright red sharpie!). When I asked if the animals got hurt when they were "roped"...I got several looks of disgust. And when I was told, "well, it can't feel good" and "sometimes it breaks the cattle's necks"-- I had made my decision. I didn't think the kids needed to see that, to which I was then told it was very "un-Texan" of me. Oops! :) But in all fairness... I am sure there are fun parts to a rodeo. But as for myself, I think I would find the most fun in laughing AT everyone else... which might mean the cows may not be the only ones with a broken neck! Yeah, I think it was probably for the best that we stayed home. ;)

4 comments:

Chulitamaya said...

Tiffany you are sooo funny :) I think the reason why I like you and your family is because you come from a different background just like we do, we love diversity and probably better than being around white people too :) (you guys are fine). I didn't go to the rodeo either and don't think I missed out on anything. We need to have you over for a on of my traditional Hispanic meals, you'll love it.

Chiara said...

You guys and your lame need to be all "cultured" and live in such "diverse places." Please! Just move to Utah already - you'll find both!! :)

Regan said...

It sounds like you guys should move to San Antonio if you are looking for some Hispanic diversity. There is tons of it here. And don't feel bad about the not going to the rodeo. We have never been because we don't want to spend the money to get in but it is huge here, they get a week off school when it's Rodeo. The kid stuff I here is fun, just a petting zoo and some rides. And I noticed you said you knew Rebecca on my blog post. She lived next door to me for about 2 year and we ran into her and her husband at the San Antonio temple a while ago, they live in Austin. Small world!

Iliana said...

You need to live by me!! Ethnic diversity all found in one convinently fun person. Is it weird that I'm the only non-white person I know? Utah.