Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Simple Faith

The week before Spring Break Connor was having some behavioral issues in class and kept getting into trouble...mostly for talking. The teacher said that Connor is a very smart kid and he is able to multi-task, while most kids his age can not. As a result, Connor is apparently able to talk to his peers and get his work done at the same time. However, the kids around him are not able to do this and as a result have not been getting their work done. After three days of Connor getting into trouble for talking, his teacher and I decided that maybe Connor should be moved out of a table setting (4 desks pushed together) and have to sit by himself.

Last night as I was saying personal prayers with Connor before bed, he prayed that he could be good at school so that he could be moved back to a table and that he could get a blue star. (That is the best behavior grade you can get for the day.) I was touched by his unprompted sincerity of wanting to change.

Then today as I picked him up from school the first thing he said was, "Mom! I got a blue star today and my teacher moved me back to a table!! Just like I prayed for. I had faith inside Jesus and that I could get a blue star, and it happened!" It was a really neat experience for me to see. I was happy to hear that Connor's behavior had been improving. But I was truly grateful that not only my child's prayer was answered, but that he recognized that prayer takes faith!

His teacher told him he is just on a trial run at a table...to see if he can keep up the good work. But that he has been doing really well the last few days. I am proud of my little boy...not just for being able to control his talking, but for his sweet example of simple faith. I love you, Bear!

7 comments:

Chulitamaya said...

I am having the same problem with Victor and Tristan, Victor keeps getting check marks for talking while they are on rug time and he can't stop himself. Tristan is a wiggle bug and just loves to talk ALL the time. It is so neat that Connor can recognize the Lord's hand at such young age. I love it when my kids pray for things like that.

Elizabeth said...

Quite a change from my phone conversation with him. :) Way to go Connor!

Darcy said...

That is so awesome that he is recognizing that. Nothing is worse than when your kids want to pray for something and you doubt it might come true, at least that's what i sometimes do, and i worry it will destroy their faith. So happy it worked out for him.

Boud Family said...

That is too precious. I can just see his little face all lit up.

Iliana said...

Seriously isn't that the biggest reward for being a mom, seeing them learn about gospel truths? What a stud.

Chiara said...

I wish I could be more like a child. Honestly. Thanks for reminding me that Connor! I'm so proud of you!

Christine said...

What a sweet story, thanks for sharing! Children have a way of reminding us how important simple faith is. I'm impressed with his multi-tasking talents. Way to go Connor! I look forward to getting to know you better. You are such a kind, sincere person.