Monday, March 2, 2009

Marker Mishap


Elijah's newest obsession is drawing with (but not limited to) permanent markers all over our house. It started on Super Bowl Sunday. Seth and I were engrossed in the game. We both noticed and commented on how eerily quiet it was for our family of 5. Connor was watching and cheering along next to us. Dallin was with in an arms reach. But Eli was no where to be heard of or seen. Hmm... that combination is always a little unnerving. However, neither of us were willing to pull ourselves away and check. After about 20 minutes Seth got up and walked into the kitchen and found Eli sitting quietly with a permanent marker in his hand and his scribbles all over his little body from head to toe, all over the tile floor, all over the lower kitchen cabinets (outside and inside), and on all the kitchen appliances that were in the cabinets. I was too infuriated at the time to think to take any pictures of it all. Long story short...Eli walked around with permanent marker all over his body for a week, and we got most of the "decorations" off the house with the wonderful blessing of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. The only places we could not get the marker off was in the grout between the tiles and the inside of the cabinets. Thankfully, the kitchen floor and the outside of the wood cabinets were saved. But stupid me put the permanent marker right back where it was...tucked away in a box... inside a drawer... he can't even see into... and can barely reach. It seemed safe enough, right?...WRONG!

Eli got it out AGAIN just the other day. I was upstairs hunting through old photos and Eli walked in the room covered in globs of lotion. I was worried what else had lotion all over it so as I washed off Eli I asked Seth to find the lotion bottle. He found it...right next to the permanent marker in the boys bathroom. He had drawn on his step stool. I went in to investigate and Eli looked at me proudly as he beamed and said, "See! Mommy face!". It was his first drawing of me (let alone of anyone) ever. It melted my heart...how could I get mad? But this time I remembered to put the marker away someplace different. :)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

He is an artist just like his mom.

Scarcy Family said...

Yea, Magic Eraser it definitely is. Mason did the same thing on our bathroom door right before we moved. He wrote his name, obviously when I asked who did this, he couldn't win that argument. I was so happy with how great his writing was, that I couldn't get mad either, kind of funny.