Monday, August 23, 2010

Football

Okay, so I have been trying to get the summer vacation posts out of the way before I move on to other things... but this kid is just too funny!
Connor decided that this Fall he wanted to try football. I figured he was eight now and probably old enough to handle tackle football? The kids in the neighborhood play touch football in the street all the time and Connor seems to be better than most of them (even the older ones). So I said, "Why not?"
Well, I will tell you why not! How about because there are going to be kids twice Connor's height and five times his weight claiming to be eight out there!? And how about because it has already put us out more than $500? Or, what about the fact that they play 4 days as week, 2 hours a day? Never mind that it is 100+ degrees with 90% humidity out there. Or, did you know that the duty of being the 'team mom' would be enough to fill two full time jobs in and of itself? Still not sold? Well how about if nothing else, I would not sign up for football based on this reason alone... that there are some CRAZY-SCARY football parents out there!

After Connor's first practice he came home with a bloody knee on his right leg and a huge bruise (the picture does not do it justice) on his left thigh. (This is pre-gear.)

One week later and the team was ready to practice in full gear!

BEFORE

AFTER

Connor has repeatedly told me he likes it, just not the tackling part! :) So, he simply worked out a system to get around it. The coach has them line up in two lines and gives the first kid in line #1 the ball and tells him to run straight onto the kid in line#2. Line #2 then tries to throw the runner to the ground with nothing but brute force. Connor told me he always counts the number of kids in the line across from him. If he is less than pleased with who he is paired up with, he simply offers the person behind him to go ahead of him. Much obliged, they do it! ;)-

But before I make my kid out to sound like a total wuss... he actually is not! As of week three he is one of the teams best tacklers. The coach has caught on and now lines him up against the biggest kids on our team. Which makes me proud, but also scares me to death because I know he is getting hit pretty hard out there. And Connor seems to be able to take the beatings, too, without getting mad to the point of fits of rage, or crying like some of the other kids.

Connor is not the fastest one on the team, but he is still fast and seems to have the most stamina if you ask me. He is almost always in the top 3 runners beginning, middle, or end of practice.

I wouldn't know about his throwing or catching skills because I do not think they have thrown a ball yet since he has started this league. I think it's hilarious! I guess at this age they run all the plays?

I can hardly stand to sit there in the shade and watch him play in the sickening heat, and I am not the one running around nonstop with all that heat trapped inside! But somehow he hardly complains about it... just about "getting beat up". Poor kid.

After two weeks he has made up his mind that he is NOT going to play again next year. I told him if that is what he decide that is perfectly fine with me, but to at least wait until the games start before he makes that decision. And if he still feels that same way... then that is great, but that he still needs to finish off the season strong. He was perfectly fine with that. And he has been giving it his all... each and every practice!

On the drive home at 8:45pm:
Connor: Do you know what the best thing about football is?
Me: (Excited to hear him say something positive about it!) No, what!?
Connor: You get to stay up past your bedtime.

Future MVP? I doubt it!

Man, I love this kid! :)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have three boys playing tackle football. They have so many bruises that I make sure I take pictures of them in their football gear with me to the doctor in case he suspects me of abusing them. There are times when they are hitting that I have to turn away. It's painful to watch! vThey all hated the first two weeks and then they started to love it. After the first game, my oldest said to me it was the best day of his life. It sucks my time and my money and they love it. I hope its preparing them for something great in life. I tell myself they are learning discipline and teamwork. I hope it's working! Good luck to Connor and you!

Cris said...

The before and after pictures are priceless! I laughed out loud! SO CUTE. We love him, too.

~kenna

Chiara said...

SMART boy. That's all there is too it!!

California Washburns said...

THis post cracked me up and made me VERY grateful we didn't put Caleb in tackle football this year!!

Sean and Candace said...

That's crazyness! Connor's awesome! He has the best attitude out of any kid I know. You go Connor! How long is the season? I hope it's a short one!