Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Gramps

This morning my Grandpa Maine passed away in his sleep. This was not too unexpected as we found out at the beginning of the week that he had a severe stroke for which he was hospitalized. He was expected to pass within the next couple of weeks, but this was sooner than I had anticipated.
At 92 years of age... I would say that my Grandfather has lived a long life, a full life. I hope he is happy. I like to think that when he crossed over he was met by his father that died when he was a very small child. My Grandfather had a hard life and as a result made some poor choices. Many judge him based on these things.
All I know is the man who I called "the bad Grandpa" (as the nickname was given by himself). But the irony was that he was a good Grandpa. A really good grandpa. I am not calling him a perfect man, as I know that he was capable of causing pain... as we all are. But I do believe he tried to right the wrongs he had made in his life. And if i have to vouch for the goodness in this man's heart at the gates of Heaven (or hell) I will!!
He never showed me anything but love. In the summer time I would have sleepovers at his house, he would take me to the park, to the local fair, swimming, take me camping, on long walks, and to get ice cream cones. We both loved to play with his dog. He would wrestle with me, spend hours teaching me card tricks, and always showered me in wet slobbery kisses. We spent holidays together. My Grandpa wrote many letters to me throughout college and my married life. He wrote my kids letters. He sent birthday cards, and emails, and called often. He served his country faithfully as he loved it dearly. I love my Grandpa. I will miss him very much. I already do. Love you with all my heart, Gramps. Always know that!

Gramps and me... 1981. (age 2)

Grandpa always had such a special place in his heart for Connor. I am not sure why, but somehow Connor stole his heart long ago. He loved to talk to Connor on the phone... and Connor loved talking to him too! Here is a pic of my Grandpa with Connor at age 2. (2004)

3 comments:

Chiara said...

XOXOXO! What a cute old man!

The Silly Witch said...

How lucky you are to have a grandpa that loves you so much! I think Eli looks like you as a child.

Elizabeth said...

I am sad to see this post. Such a sweet way to remember him.