Tuesday, August 11, 2009

NOT a Happy Camper!


Okay, why do any of us shop at Walmart? Is it because we LOVE standing in the one hour long line every time we go because they only ever have ONE cashier working while the other 853 check-outs are all closed? Or, is it the lovely produce that draws us to the store always covered in fruit flies? I know, it must be the quality of their items because it is my favorite thing to buy a SPILL PROOF sippy cup for my child only to have the juice leak straight out the bottom. No, that's not it... it's the AWESOME customer service they provide that made me once literally raise hell over 40 cents! (But don't get me started on that!!!)

Let's face it... we all keep going back to Walmart because it is hecka cheap! I can feed my family of five on a relatively reasonable budget there. And you know what my favorite buys are...what the best deals out of the ENTIRE store are? The kid friendly snacks... like the Great Value cheese crackers, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, etc. I know you all know what I am talking about! They have been selling them between $1 - $1.25 a box for years now. You can't beat it. Or at least you couldn't...

So a few weeks ago when I went to grab my GV graham crackers... I had to do a double take when I saw they were being advertised as 2 for $5! For a brief moment I thought maybe I was going crazy and I always paid that much. That is until I saw the Honey Maid brand sitting right next to them and were actually 2 cents CHEAPER. So I back tracked my way down the aisle to check the cheese crackers I had just grabbed. Sure enough... $2.50! WHAT THE ?!??! I checked all our "regulars" and every one of them had been upped by 100-150%!! I was outraged! I could not believe it. I put them all back out of protest... surely I was not going to spend that much at Walmart! If i wanted to spend that much on crackers or cookies I would go to the nice grocery stores... where they actually cater to the customers! :) So I went back again today (clearly in denial) thinking I would find it was all a big mistake some how. WRONG! So next time when you go to grab this box off the shelf... think again!

Clearly if I find this issue worthy of a blog post... I am finding it most troubling! I am torn over taking my business elsewhere. Old habits die hard. :)


6 comments:

Chulitamaya said...

I know what you mean, I hardly buy my crackers if ever at Walmart for that reason, I noticed that months ago, they changed the packaging and now they think they can fool you with it and charge you more. I am a crazy person and shop at 4 different stores, don't go to the fancy stores because I know they will charge more so I get those cheese crackers at family dollar where the line is always empty and the customer service is lovely. But that is just me the Queen of dollar stores, and the quality is the same :)

TexasMom said...

Do you have an HEB? I am the bargin queen and used to shop at Wal-Mart, and now I only shop at HEB. Better customer service, better produce, better meat, and I am saving more money because they have the coupons all ready for you! Seriously Wal-Mart isn't as cheap as you would think!

Ann

myrobinsonclassroom said...

I noticed the cheese crackers that were 1.12 go up to 1.25 but he is doing all the shopping now and said that it was way up and knows my rule of a dollar a box or don't buy it. We just had an Aldi open up right next to walmart. Too cool. We can get really cheap stuff. That and Byler's (not sure if you remember Joey going there) and the bread store where bread is .69 and I have going to the dollar store also for some things. So Walmart's only saving grace is that I can get all the stores in one if I have alot of misc stuff to get.

Chiara said...

hahahahah. hahahahah. hahahahah.
I'll come back and post a real comment when I can stop laughing....
hahahahaha!

Shanda McKeehan said...

I know what you mean! I bought those same sippy cups before and you are totally right. I haven't been shopping at Walmart much lately, just Aldi and the sales at our local nice grocery store Harris Teeter ( some call it the hairy teat.)

Faith said...

What really annoys me is when they reduce the quantity (i.e. 70 diapers instead of 84), but still charge the same amount! Grrr....

Oh, and when I do buy produce there, I have to memorize all the prices because EVERY single time I've caught a price error. Then I get to wait for them to do a price check--everyone behind me is thrilled.