Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gettin' Crafty?

I'm not really sure 'crafty' is the right word here... but for those of you who know me, know that I am not a real "go getter". I am a horrible decision maker and a very indecisive person by nature. I am the type of person who lives with 18 different paint splotches on her house walls for 2 years because she just can't bring herself to take that last step and commit to any of them!
This type of behavior drives my husband a bit nuts at times. (IE: When I left for Portland last summer he asked our neighbor for help on colors and had the whole downstairs painted while I was gone! :) Well, since then... our walls have been pretty, but bare as we have moved back almost none of our old "decorations" because they did not match, I wasn't sure where to put them, and/or just were not what I wanted, etc. I have lots of ideas (some great and others maybe not so much :). But I never seem to follow through with any of them. Seth was hounding me all winter long to finish some of these "projects".

One of these projects was the entry way wall when you walk in the door. I knew that I wanted a bunch of family photos framed and some vinyl lettering about family... but that was about it. So I finally searched around and found that perfect lettering for me! I showed my genius of a friend, and after complaining to her that frames were around $15 a pop at Target (for your average sized frame) she suggested going to Goodwill and buying a bunch of different sized frames and spray painting them black. Of course I had to drag her along with me because that was too much pressure for me to do alone! She happily went with me and helped me pick some out. I spent about $20 on frames and $5 on spray paint... and viola! I love it!! (Actually the big frame in the center IS from Target and was $30... but all the rest were Goodwill bargains!
I still don' t have a picture for the center frame. I can't decide if I want to go with a wedding photo, a family photo (which would have to be taken), or a nice recent pic of the three boys all together (which also would have to be taken). So don't expect to see a photo in there for at least another 18 months! ;)- Opinions appreciated!


Then that same awesome friend of mine... has a darling magnet board in her house that I have wanted to copy FOREVER to hang the kids art work on. But I just never did anything about it. I went as far as getting most of the necessary pieces but never put any of it together. Seth had to push me every step of the way. Together we did it and I love it! Right now it is filled with all our Christmas photos (instead of art work).


If you don't see your photo that means one of two things... 1. you have been upgraded to our fridge... or 2. you didn't send me a card, jerk! ;)-

The last project Seth made me finish was Connor's bed. But to be honest I think he ended up doing more of this one than I did. We have had a really nice children's bed someone gave us second hand years ago. It needed help, but had great potential. We both took turns painting coats of bright white paint (because that is what we already had in the garage) and it looks good.

But I still wanted to sand that edges for that shabby chic look! And then I saw another friend's bed that she stained after it was painted white and it gave it an awesome vintage look and I thought I would do that, too. :) But the stain I tried didn't make any difference on that stark white paint. Discouraged, I did not get much farther than that.

So guess who never got around to sanding it? And guess who got too tired of seeing a bed in the garage everyday? :) So Seth put it together and put it up in Connor's new bedroom of his own. It looks nice. I still might sand it... one day. :) But there are no pictures of that (for now) since I still have not decided what to do with his room. I know... it might be years people!!!

But I am so proud of these small accomplishments. Even if I was pushed, nudged, and prodded every step of the way! :)

5 comments:

Chiara said...

dude....we have the same problem! We need to be neighbors so we can help each other. I am SO impressed with your cute entryway...I just love it! Now come over to my house and do mine!!

Shasta said...

So, I think you need to tell us all where you ordered the vinyl letters from. I have pictures hanging in my entryway and I want to add the letters. Yes, I will totally steal your idea and I have no shame in admitting that!!! :)

Tiffany W. said...

www.chattywalls.com

Dani said...

Love it! It's all about babysteps, right? That's how I do things too. Hello??? It took us a year to finish that entertainment center! I love the picture wall...it turned out AMAZING! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures on the wall with the different sayings. Such a cute idea!