Tuesday, October 20, 2009

GOAL!!!

(Connor is not wearing a jersey in this picture because they collected the uniforms at the game to get their names printed on them.)

So I have decided that I pretty much live vicariously through my 7-year old's soccer experience, and I am okay with that. I can't help it. It is so much fun! Connor is off to a great start so far with a 2-0 season. We just got back from his second game and I can not help but think he is just so awesome! Now, don't get me wrong... he is not the best player out there, or have super mad skills. His foot is finally getting stronger, but I would say it is average at best. His dribbling skills are above average, but again... not the best I've seen from his age group. But what he does beat out everyone on all teams hands down... is HEART! The kid is amazing; you can not get him down! He never gives up... is super aggressive... and gives everything he has...100% the entire game.

His team just won this last game 3-2. All three goals scored by Connor. The first goal he scored was headed into the goal from a good 12 feet back! (The coach said that is the first head goal he has seen in six seasons of coaching!)

One of the rules of this "fair and positive" league is that parents and coaches are not allowed to keep score. Connor was previously sitting his turn out and was then put back in the game for the last 5 minute period as center forward. The score was 2-2. I could not help myself... I ran out to the field and whispered into Connor's ear that the score was 2-2 and this was his last chance to score for the win. Right as I turned away I hear Connor yell, "HEY GUYS, IT IS 2 to 2. WE HAVE TO SCORE!!" Busted! It was so painfully obvious what I had just done and I was embarrassed for all of about 10 seconds. That is until the whistle blew and Connor made a mad dash down the field and scored what was the winning goal!

GO POLAR BEARS! GO CONNOR!!

1 comment:

Chulitamaya said...

Awesome Connor!!! That is so cool, hey when is his next game, Victor would love to come an support him and see him play, we will even wear the team colors :) Isn't it cool to see your kids do great at church, school and sports? Love it and love your attitude!!!