Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pool Scare

Today I had a bit of a scare at the pool. We were gathered together with a couple of other families to celebrate a birthday. It was a fairly crowded day at the pool.

After cake the kids all went back into the water. I was sitting at the table chatting with a couple of other ladies. I had looked and saw Seth was in the kid play area with Dallin and Eli. Connor asked me if he could head over into the deep pool (4.5 feet). I said yes. He is a strong swimmer (not to mention he can touch on his tip-toes.)

What Seth and I did not know was that Eli saw Connor go over and decided to follow him into that pool. What Seth and I did not know was that after we had cake... we both had forgotten to put Eli's life jacket back on. What ELI did not know... was that he cannot swim without that life jacket on.

Apparently Eli walked right into that deep water... and no one knew. Not Connor. Not Seth. Not me. Not even the lifeguards. A lady suntanning next to the pool saw him fighting to stay above water and jumped in to grab him.

He ran to me screaming. The poor kid was scared to death. I had the sickest feeling in my stomach as I sat there and held him. I have not been able to shake the awful feeling since.

I have felt this feeling once before when I lost Connor when he was only two. Not lost like I turned the next shopping aisle over and found him. But lost- LOST. As in we found him several STREETS over from where we were. He found an open door at my in-laws house and just wandered off... and fast! Anyone could have hit him. Anyone could have taken him. It still makes me sick to think about it.

I could have lost my baby today. I was not paying attention like I should have. It scares me to death to think of how other outcomes could have unfolded.

It makes me feel inadequate as a mother.
It makes my stomach turn.
It makes me hug each of my kids a little tighter.
It makes me thank the Lord it did not turn out differently.
It makes me pray it never happens again!

It only takes a few seconds.
And it only takes once.
So please, watch your babies... big or small... in the pool!

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

...every mother's worst nightmare. I am so glad that he's okay.

Kel said...

Literally a mom's worst nightmare... I have water nightmare's all the time. I don't know how any mother who doesn't feel guilty at some point while caring for her children though. I'm glad everything turned out ok, Tiff. You're still a great mom.

Kel said...

Yeah, that didn't really make sense. But I think you get the point... maybe. :)

Chiara said...

Geez....so scary! Glad it turned out like it did. I hate that feeling! Love you!

Chulitamaya said...

I am so glad he is OK and Heavenly Father found a way to keep him safe. That is my worst fear every summer when we go to the pool or the beach. You are a great mom Tiffany.