Tuesday, May 18, 2010

PADRES LOSE!


It was the saddest day in the SD Padres Humble Baseball League history! We had been beating the Pirates most of the game by about 3-4 runs. (A relatively close game for Padre status) It is the last inning and Pirates are up to bat... from no where they knock out 5 great runs! The score is now 13-12... and the Padres are up to take care of business.
First batter chokes and strikes out. Second batter hits and it is an out at first base. Third batter gets a base hit. Fourth batter... is Connor. (Not our strongest hitter!) My nerves were shot... I could hardly watch as I just prayed he would not strike out. He swings... strike one. He swings... strike two. AHHHH! The third pitch he nails for a solid grounder past the 2nd and 3rd base. Whatever position that is (right field?) grabs it and throws it to second for the out. Pirates win!... Padres lose!... and by one point! Connor comes off the field in tears... he thinks it is his fault because he hit the ball. The other kid comes off the field in tears thinking it is his fault since he was the one tagged out. Three fourths of the dug out is in tears because this is the first game they not only lost, but did not kill the team by at least 7 points. It was heart breaking, but a bit comical at the same time. In my best Tom Hanks voice I said to them, "There's no crying in baseball!" They all just looked at me and cried harder! hahahahaha!
Last time the Padres played the Pirates... they beat them by ten! Thankfully, the Padres still hold their first place status. (Although that was no consolation to any of the boys!) However, I think the Pirates took their 3rd place ranking up a notch to 2nd... but I can't say for sure. It was a good game and both teams played their hearts out.
Personally, I think it was good for these boys to lose. Their egos were getting a little too big. But now that the word is out that the Padres can be beat... (and trust me the word really is out! Connor has a friend in the division above him and he already knew about the undefeated Padre loss before we even told him. ;)... I have a feeling the Cardinals are going to want it bad Thursday night. We will have to bring our A game to make sure everyone knows we mean business... and we are not messin' around anymore! :)
Meanwhile, Connor has spent hours in preparation for this game and will continue to do so by "practicing" on his PS3 MLB game! ;)- So send Connor and the Padres your good thoughts... and GO PADRES!!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Lizzy says, "Go Padres!"

California Washburns said...

Haha!! You crack me up! I wish I could have been there to cheer them on! Tell Connor Good luck from his Aunt Kimm!

Chiara said...

That was a very entertaining post....it was very fun to read! Life lessons for our little men....not always easy to watch, huh?

California Washburns said...

So...how'd the game against the cardinals go? I've been waiting to hear!