Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Family Night

Eli's preschool sent home a note last week about a birthday party they were going to have with the children for Jesus. To help celebrate they suggested a cute idea of bringing a wrapped toy as a gift to Christ. The children would unwrap their present, show the class, and then donate it to the local toy drive. This past family home evening, I took the opportunity to review the birth of our Savior with our kids (using our nativity set was a hit) and to try to explain to Eli why we were doing this and what it meant. There was some confusion.

Eli: So are we going to eat cake with Jesus?

Me: No. Jesus won't actually be at the party, He is in Heaven.

Eli: You can't eat cake in heaven?

Me: ????? (changing the subject) Christ taught us to share with others. We are going to give someone a present who probably won't have any other presents to open on Christmas morning.

Eli: Why?

Me: Well, maybe they don't have enough money, or maybe they don't have a mom or a dad, or maybe they're really sick... but the truth is, I'm not really sure. We do it because we love Christ and we know he would want us to do it.

Seth: There is a little boy out there Eli, who is going to have something to open for Christmas because YOU gave him this Nerf dart gun. Think how happy he is going to be because YOU shared with him. YOU are going to make a difference.

Eli: (With big eyes, a loud gasp, and a breathy voice) I saved Christmas!

Lol! I think maybe this kid has been watching a few too many Christmas movies this season! ;) However, his excitement from that moment on was very catching. You could tell he felt helpful, important, and proud to be making a difference in some one's life. I could even tell Connor was a bit jealous he was not "saving Christmas". :) I told Connor we could go and pick out a toy another day, to give as well. He was thrilled.

I felt a peaceful happiness in my heart that night. And even though our children still behave less than perfect as they fight and cry over silly things--I am proud to be their mama! :)

4 comments:

Chiara said...

you SHOULD be proud! What cute kids!

Elizabeth said...

Awwww. That is so sweet. I remember when my parents would suggest we give up some of our Christmas so someone else could have something. I don't think we were as happy about it as your kids.

The Silly Witch said...

"I saved Christmas!"--That is so cute. What a kid.

Chulitamaya said...

How sweet and what a perfect way to explain it to a 4 year old, you guys are great parents :)