Sunday, June 7, 2009

Eli is 3!

Oh man, was this kid ready to turn three! He asked every morning for two weeks if it was his "durfday" yet. We were actually gone over the weekend (on Connor's b-day) so we got in late Sunday night. We woke up early Monday morning (June 1st) and made the mistake of telling Eli it was his birthday. But it was just a regular, old day. Dad left for work, Connor left for school... and nothing special to it. Talk about the ultimate let down for a three year old! I saw we had a bunch of messages on our answering machine and hit play thinking maybe a birthday message would cheer him up. They were ALL messages wishing CONNOR a happy birthday... he just about died! He cried saying, "NO! MY DURFDAY! NOT DADDO's!" It really was so sad that it was almost comical. I was sure we had scarred him for life. We tried to make him feel better by telling him he was going to have a party that weekend. But I don't think he understood and it did very little to console the him... or me for that matter. :)

But finally, come dinner time when all the family was together again we let him pick dinner (pizza), sang happy birthday, blew out candles, and opened family presents. His main present (which is not pictured) was a little Spider-Man bike just his size complete with training wheels. He loves it!

Eli had a Spider-Man themed party (his pick) the following Friday. These are the not-so-great spider cupcakes I attempted to make for the kids. :)

I went to two different party stores to look for Spider-Man supplies. I was floored when I realized they wanted $25 for a pinata! (Which did not include candy and did not even look very cool, if you asked me) So my cheap-a** self decided I was going to make one instead. I am pretty sure it cost me less than a dollar to make. Flour... water... newspaper... and some red crate paper.... oh and a piece of yarn to hang it with! Eli loved it!

I found these cute Spider-Man masks at Wal-mart. The kids loved them! And I just went with a red and black theme for decorations.

Eli and Connor all ready for the party to begin!

Eli had 6 of his 9 friends show + our 2, put us at 8 kids. It was a good number. The house felt plenty full with that many little kids running around. :) (pictured: Trent, Eli and Tristan)

(Aaron, Brayden, and Ava)

We had several fun games... pin the spider on the web, the web walk, and Seth's creation... while wearing your Spidey mask you throw the Spider-Man beach ball through the hula hoop and at the villian. Of course, that was their favorite game! Seth always comes up with the best party games. Party planning just might be in his future! ;) (They got to each take a ball home)

We also had a special visitor show up to bring Eli a present! Two of the kids screamed bloody murder, I got a good laugh, and Eli knew right away that it was his dad! Good times!!

Last was the pinata. It held up like a champ!

In the end it was Connor that busted it open.

This was Eli's special gift from Spiderman... a Spidey suit of his very own! Happy "durfday" little man. We sure love you!

7 comments:

Chiara said...

A HOMEMADE pinata? I am so impressed! But I guess you DID owe it to him after totally ruining his birthday morning!! ;)-

Elizabeth said...

The pinata looks great. From the picture, I wouldn't have guessed it was homemade. I know if I had tried to make it it wouldn't have looked so good.

Regan said...

I am very impressed by the cupcakes and pinata. My friend made her own pinata for an Easter party that we went to and I know from seeing it that I would not have been able to make it so nice. I can't believe that Eli is 3 and Connor is 7! How time flies!

Unknown said...

I think I would be scared too if I saw Seth in a spiderman costume, Eli was pretty brave. It was awesome for you to make such a big party for Eli. It looked huge!

Iliana said...

Okay. First, you and Seth need to cool it off in September. Geez, all these June b-days. Second, Seth in a spiderman costume is awesome. Third, Eli is so so darling. I don't believe all the wild things you say about him, his face is just too cute.

Scarcy Family said...

How fun. Love the pinata. Did you guys get a Sienna? You look great in your pictures, are you shrinking??? I love Eli's haircut!!! I'm so obsessed with short hair, looks cute. Sorry I've been out of touch...been reading the twilight books...finally done now, time to get back to blogging and normal life.

Stacee said...

So fun! I was just scanning the pictures and I saw "Spiderman" and knew right away it was Seth! That cracks me up. What a good dad. That's when you know you have a keeper!