Wednesday, March 30, 2011

No Sleep

You know you're messed up when...


you can't sleep a wink because there is a storm outside. You are POSITIVE that among the howling winds, every crack of thunder is actually a crack of a falling tree... that is about to land smack dab on your house... and come crashing through your roof... on top of you and your husband... of even worse on top of your babies.

Thanks to Hurricane Ike over 2 years ago when we heard those high speed winds and cracking trees... three trees DID fall on our house. Now this is just how I get when it storms.


(One of the uprooted trees that fell on our house.)



(Luckily for us it was just the very tips of the trees that fell on our house and only the branches that actually punctured our roof.)


(Our neighbors were not quite so lucky. A tree came through their house and crushed EVERYTHING in their master bedroom. Thankfully, they slept with the baby in the nursery that night.)


But now do you understand my pain? I thought seriously about camping out in the hallway half way through the night. But I ultimately decided that if my family was going to die from falling trees... I didn't want to be the lone survivor. Instead, I kept waking up Seth to reassure me trees weren't going to, in fact, fall on us. His annoyance with me was more apparent than his willingness to provide me with comfort. Great, now we are going to die mad at each other! So I laid there all night in the dark with the blinds open... staring down the trees and getting ready to grab Seth with my superhuman strength and run upstairs and grab the kids with my lightening speed, all in a moments notice... if I saw a falling tree.


Yeah, that is about how my thought process worked.


So when I woke up dead tired this morning... Seth laughed at me.


I'm so not grabbing him next time.

8 comments:

Scott said...

That was hilarious...you're so funny! Hey, it's not like it doesn't happen....even here, remember Allison Gullion?? I think you're allowed to be scared of that. Good luck on the next storm...take some sleeping pills!

Scott said...

That was Darcy, by the way!

Chulitamaya said...

Tiffany you crack me up, so funny and there are many more storms to come out way in the future. I will be getting all worried right there with you :)

Dani said...

You are so funny! That storm last night was crazy! Glad you and your family survived! :)

Shasta said...

You are hilarious. It sucks that you have so much anxiety over storms. You live in an area that will always have bad storms. I remember growing up going to bed with tornado sirens blasting in our town. I still slept fine. If the storm was close, we would move to the hallway, if it wasn't or if it had passed we would go to bed. Get some anxiety pills or sleeping pills for the next one...which should be soon, right??

Elizabeth said...

I have a great idea....move to Portland!

Chiara said...

bahahhaha - I cannot stop laughing! I would give my right arm to be with you in your house during the next bad storm! And better yet, I'd give both arms to watch you leave Seth as you grab me and the kids with your superhuman strength and lightening speed and get us out of harms way!
I hope Seth reads your blog!! I freaking love you!

Maria said...

This post was awesome. You remind me a lot of myself. I am sorry you had to have such a crappy experience with Ike to keep you awake and anxious now whenever there is a storm, but I am grateful nothing too terrible happened to your family back then. Waking up the husband is usually the way I roll too...Oh, and Seth--deal with it!