Tuesday, February 8, 2011

These shoes are made for walkin!

I don't know about you...
but trying to get out the door with my kids
is like trying to run with an elephant on my back.
Impossible.

I always forget something
and have to make at least two trips
from the driveway
back to inside the house
and then again
sometimes half way down the road.

And still, I often forget one of the kids' most basic needs:
a sippy cup, soccer ball, shoes, piano books, baseball glove, snack, pants (yes that's happened!), coat, backpack, extra diapers, sack lunch.

But even more often I forget my needs:
wallet, cell phone, purse, sunglasses, Blockbuster DVD, receipt, i-pod, water bottle.

Not to mention we are rarely on time for anything.

It is what it is.
It's our life.
I'm not making excuses
and I don't see a sudden change in the near future.

So when I buckled Eli in his seat today and saw these shoes on his feet:



I was just grateful he had on two...
and that it did not mean a third trip back inside the house.

So yes, my son and I
walked all around Ace Hardware, the Dollar Store, Kohls and the public library...
with two different shoes
and two right feet.

And I actually LIKED that I was okay with it.
Maybe we will do it again tomorrow?

4 comments:

California Washburns said...

I think that's great! I'm all for letting the kids be independent, even if it means 2 unmatching right shoes! He looks so proud in this picture! I LOVE it!

Chiara said...

I love it!! Old age and more kids do that you you....I find myself doing things as a mom that I would have been disgusted at before I was a mom! I'm proud of you!! Next time you should make that third trip back in the house and put on one different shoe yourself....so you can match....cause matching is really cool! :)

and ps - will you please change your settings so people don't have to type in the stupid word verification thing when they comment. It drives me nuts!!!

The Silly Witch said...

I LOVE this. I think it's cool that he has more than one pair of shoes so he can mix and match.

Maria said...

This post totally made my day! LOVE IT! Yayy for cool laid back moms like you. TEACH ME!